The Concept of Time… (rough Ideas).

“Treat yourself…”

Solo performance idea construct…

When debating the content that can make up a solo performance we were tasked with developing a five-minuet performance or idea based around the starting point of time. Time for me was an interesting concept from which to develop on as with time comes the stigmas of life, death, reality and our inevitable prospect of running out of time. Through conversations each person developed and talked about there own unique concept and how they  would transform their space into one that could fit this performance. I myself was more interested in using a spectator or audience member as a participant in order to elevate a performance. One problem I feel with creating a solo performance I feel is the idea of creating something that is unique, however has relevance behind the context of the performance. I thought that through looking at time I would also look at the idea of innocence and creativity even age…

The initial Idea was to create an atmosphere that felt freeing, almost domestic in setting as often through the exploration of other solo performers a participator will feel at ease when thinking of an artist as a domestic or maternal guide. I also wanted through this domestic-setting to explore childhood and adulthood through the idea of taste and how through the years we as humans as flawed as we are develop.

I’m really not making sense here…

I think basing my visuals around sweet snacks I can create a freeing atmosphere that would allow anyone present to explore their own changing tastes and trends through creating and destroying cakes. It’s still a very early concept however I would allow time to bake a construct and not necessarily allow them to eat it there and then, however present a range of snacks that differ greatly in sweet to bitter and transition from each sweet/savory treat into a new age; childhood to adulthood and how our wants, likes/dislikes change as we develop.

The simplest way I can explain my idea is through the idea of this.

Would the audience even be prepared to eat anything I made?

When you are a child you are never full, you are never conscious about your weight, about your appearance even what we say to one another. However when you age you grow as a person, you become conscious of those around you. How you look/feel even how you are perceived by others, equally you also change your tastes, now you are an adult you think about what you eat and the idea that you have had enough. You wait after each meal, you savoir foods/wines and sweet treats and more often then normal you refuse that extra slice of cake, you simply have had enough and feel the need to conform to social norms and not over-indulge, even though you know it would change nothing and you might even enjoy yourself…

There is far to much to develop here.

However I feel through future understating and development there could be a show.

One Reply to “The Concept of Time… (rough Ideas).”

1. I think so Ryan. Let’s go for some shape and material to work on; consciousness is an interesting idea and how this changes.